Monday 2 July 2012

Strawberry Jam... with Extras!

Made my strawberry jam this morning and it is fabulous!  This is all a new venture for me and really enjoying it, I can see my cupboards being full of jampots at this rate!  I used some lovely flavoursome strawberries from plot 119, some wild strawberries from the garden which are going a bit mad this year, getting loads of them, and some raspberries, also from the garden.  Put them all in my new Kilner jam pan, warmed them through till all the juices were coming out (smell was wonderful!), then added same weight in sugar and juice of a lemon.  Boiled it then let it simmer for only about 10 minutes.  Did a set test to make sure it was doing what it should be and after just another short boil it was ready.  Poured into sterilised jars with a little bit left over in a bowl to taste!  Only made 2 jars but it was less than 450g of fruit so I was pleased with that.  Just need to get the scones and cream now!  Looking forward to making chutneys later in the year with all the tomatoes and peppers and courgettes that are coming.  And more jam of course, might try the strawberry one again next time putting vanilla in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment