Thursday 11 October 2012

First big chilli harvest!!

With the weather starting to turn a bit cooler, I have had to harvest some of the chillies from the cold green house. I've been growing Jalapeño, Prairie Fire, Cayenne hot peppers, and Patio Red sweet mini bell peppers.

As well as those I have grown 2 unknown peppers, which I have yet to identify. I think one is a Cayenne as it's around the same heat and shape as the others.

The other one, well I have no idea what it is.

I picked all the Patio Red (Sweet Peppers). Some have started to ripen but I wasn't expecting any of the peppers to ripen very well, what with the weather this year.



The Cayenne's have all been picked as well, even tho' they are still green.



The Jalapeño's looked about ready so again the plant is now naked of all fruit.



This is some of my unknown chilli plant fruits, no idea what it is, but it's a hot one. Just picked a few that where about ready, I have already pickled some that where green a month or so ago and still have plenty more left on the plant.



Picked a few of my Prairie Fire chillies as well, just the ones that where changing colour, these little chilli plants are very productive, with about 60 fruits on the plant still to be picked. They are VERY hot small fruits, so you only need a single pepper to heat up a dish.



Another of my unknown chillies, no idea what this could be, it's a small chilli plant about 2 foot high with lots of small 2inch fruits, that are currently green but are changing to orange, then most likely turning red. They have blunt ends to the chilli fruit and a very hot.





I'm hoping to over winter some of these plants this year in the cold greenhouse, I've not done this before, in fact this is only the second time I have ever grown chillies or sweet peppers. If I can over winter the plants, they should get better crops next year.

2 comments:

  1. what a nice crop from a cold greenhouse. I will be trying peppers next year again, critters ate the lot this year befor they grew fruit. I hope I do as well, what did you sow the seeds in? compost, soil, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are still about 60 more prairie fire fruits to pick, along with 20 of the larger unknown chillies and 20 of the smaller unknown ones. As for growing, I planted my seeds in those expandable coir pellets and had them in a heated propagator at the end of January, then on the windowsill until they got to about 6 inches high. Then once the frosts had all passed they went down to the greenhouse. Compost was just the insides of a cheap growbag put into pots. Fed them and watered once a week with Tomorite. now it's getting colder they get watered once a fortnight.

    ReplyDelete