Friday 22 March 2013

Chilli Updade (More new plants & fruit on some already)

The seeds that The Chillees gave to me back in Feb 28th are coming along lovely the two types of habanero, long hot & paper lantern have both germinated, and of the three types of Naga chilli, the Jolokia and Bengal have germinated, but as yet nothing from the Dorset Naga.

They will all stay under the lights until they get nice and strong before I will have to try and find some windowsill space for them later on.



That has got to be it for this years chillies and sweet peppers as I very have little space left in the house before the weather gets it's act together and warms up so I can get them all in the greenhouse.
Pinching out the tops of Chillie plants!!

My verdict on Pinching out the tops of Chillie plants is that it seems to promote quite a lot of new growth from the point at which the plant was cut.

The Left picture is of the Long Slim Cayenne pepper back in Feb 22 when I pinched out the very first flowering tips.

The Right hand picture is how the Long Slim Cayenne pepper looks as I write this.


Where the pepper plant was cut, Three nice strong new stems have been produced which are now about the same length as the main stem and lots of new leaves have grown around the main stem as well.

I think because it's still very early in the growing year I may use this plant as an experiment and continue to pinch out the new growth when they have grown around about the same length as the main stem and see if it continues to grow 2 or three new stems from each cut.
Hot Peppers and Sweet Peppers Setting fruit Already!!!

Well we are at the end of March 2013, Spring is supposed to be here but you wouldn't think so what with the weather we have been getting here in Somerset again.

At least some of my Pepper plants think the Summer time is coming, as quite a few of the plants that where started back on New Years day are in flower and some are even setting fruit.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="339"] Redskin F1[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="265"] Krakatoa F1[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="339"] Superchilli[/caption]

Every day or so I have been hand pollinating the pepper flowers with a old soft artist brush and it seems to be doing the trick just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Really feel like hiding under my chaotic stack of broken seed trays and pots NOW! Wow! Fruiting already!
    So pinching out and paint brush pollenation work well... Thank you for the great tips which I'll deffo copy when my sad, sorry little light-starved capsicums get on with growing a bit.
    You have some wicked hot varieties there! Are you going to try cross-pollenating and breeding a new super-chilli?
    Kind regards
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I am surprised as well, most of the peppers that are setting fruit are the F1 varieties. Well it's why I am growing so many different ones, to find out which does best in growing and taste. Next year I'll only be growing 3 or 4 types.

    As for my own super hot breed, no not this year anyway..

    Your capsicums will soon get going, I'm ahead of the season only due to the lights/heating/feed. This month is the normal time to start off peppers.

    ReplyDelete