Sunday 17 August 2014

Family Moved in & Harvesting Continues

We have a new family who have moved into one of our compost bins, Mr and Mrs Slow worm.  Hopefully lots of babies to come.  Saw one slow worm in the compost bin earlier on in the year so he obviously decided to make it his new love nest.  Lovely to have creatures setting up home on the plot, often see little lizards in and around the raised beds too.

100_4863

 

100_4864

The beans are starting to come to an end now, apart from the runners which we keep producing for a few more weeks yet.  Picked the last few Hunters and Cobras today and only a few flowers left on the dwarf beans.  Been a good year though and the freezer is full.   The hops are getting close to harvest time, that will certainly be a full days work

100_4866

The sunflowers are certainly brightening up the allotment now that the calendulas and poppies are almost done.  Sunflowers of all shapes and sizes, some about 10 foot tall, some as short as 10 inches.  Had to bring some home today to brighten up the kitchen, look lovely with a bit of fennel.

100_4865 100_4869

Todays haul - more beans, some chilli peppers, courgettes and tomatoberries.  Also the largest pattypan squash we have grown.  Also pickled 5 jars of beetroot today, still have loads more to dig up!

100_4868

4 comments:

  1. Do they, add anyt hing to the compost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much as I like slow worms in theory, I think I'd be scared of them - they look very snake-like and I'm a total wimp in that department. I'm OK with most creatures when I'm in their space (inside the house is a different category!) but I still remember being really frightened of the slow worms in my grandmother's compost pit, despite being assured they were harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They add excitement! And I suppose some slow worm poo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are wonderful creatures. The only thing I can't tolerate very well is spiders. I don't mind other creepy crawlers, snakes, worms, mice, rats, all ok. But can't deal with spiders.

    ReplyDelete