Tuesday 2 September 2014

The Hop Harvest 2014 (Fuggles) Part 1


A nice warm September day so walked down to the Allotment ready to harvest the hops. Decided to start with the Fuggles as it was the one that seemed to have the less hops on it. It was also the easiest of the four plants to get at.

So I slowly starting picking the cones from the Fuggles Hop into a carrier bag, after lowering the bines down on the string.

The bag soon filled up with lovely fuggle hop cones. In fact 1.4kg in total (green). In fact I had to call it a day with just the Fuggles as I ran out of room in my bag.


Looks like the poor old dehydrator is going to running flat out for a while and I better get a few brews going.

The dehydrator is now running at a recommended  temp of 50'C, it's pretty well packed so tomorrow morning I'll have to rotate the trays a bit to get an even dry.

At a guess when all this lot it dry I will have around about 500-600g of dried Fuggle hops to brew with.

No comments:

Post a Comment