Friday 22 February 2013

Chillies are getting big.

The chillies are getting quite big now, so some have been evicted from the light box and moved to the bedroom windowsill. The six biggest plants have now got a new home in the bedroom, Gusto, Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, and Long Slim hot peppers and Gypsy F1, Peperone for the sweet peppers. Oh and the Tomato Garten Perle for the hanging baskets have taken up position next to them.



Been doing a bit of reading about pinching out the tops of the chilli plants to increase yield, and as the Long Slim has got to this point I thought I would give a go, last year I didn't do this and most of my chillies where long and lanky. I'll see how the Long Slim chillie plant responds to this before doing the same to the others.



Pinched off the top half of the Long Slim, poor old fella. Even had a few flowers forming on the stems.



Staked the stem to give support for the new growth, which better happen or I won't be very happy stunting the growth of this cayenne pepper, as I gave my other Cayenne plant away as a house warming gift.

All the other peppers are still in the light box. With a lot more room they should come along nicely. They have all been culled to one plant per pot now as well.

5 comments:

  1. I was really interested to read about your light box and found your link to the Amazon site. Thanks for this useful lead. It's always difficult at this time of year to stop seedlings getting leggy. Juggling between bedroom windowsill, greenhouse, etc is not totally successful. I get the impression from your very useful blog that the light box has worked well for you and I will seriously consider investing in one myself for next year. Thanks for this useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got mine from suttons seeds

    ReplyDelete
  3. very useful bit of kit, with the capillary watering system it's very good. A little expensive but well made. The chillies are nice and straight and have grown stronger than last year. However they have grown a bit quick and now have out grown the box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for your tip, I never even try to grow seeds at this time of year, far too difficult to manage. I will definitely look into this light box idea. What kind of bulbs does it use, are they special spectrum bulbs? Worth a bit of research for next year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bulbs are T5 florescent tubes, I think from memory.

    ReplyDelete