Tuesday 31 December 2013

Book Review : Brewing Britain, The quest for the perfect pint by Andy Hamilton

 

 

Brewing Britain, The quest for the perfect Pint by Andy Hamilton


I received this book for Christmas 2013, I have Andy's other book "Booze for Free" and have used it many times for wines and beer recipes. This book is quite different than his other book on booze however.

The introduction outlines Andy's agenda for this new tome of beer brewing and drinking discovery, describing it as kinda like a brewery tour on paper, in fact it's far more detailed than any brewery tour that I have been on.

The next section is all about beer terminology which I have been able to skip over as I have been brewing now for quite a few years, however for a new brewer or someone that would like to expand their knowledge of all things brewing it is an invaluable reference. Even if you are a old hand at brewing you should still give this section a  peruse as there a some amusing additions to the standard terminology which I found put a wry smile on my face and even a couple of chuckles.

I won't describe every section/chapter in Andy's book as that will turn into quite a large post in itself. But to sum up in as little words as possible Brewing Britain, The quest for the perfect pint is a very welcome addition to my brewing library, in fact it's one of the best if not the best book I have on the subject of brewing, it's informative yet witty and covers everything a new brewer or old hand could wish for in a book, with examples of commercial beers to try, beers to brew Kit and All Grain for each style covered within it's pages.The book goes into plenty of detail about almost everything about beer and it's manufacture without getting overly technical.

I can highly recommend it for the new brewer, old hand or even the beer drinker with no wish to even brew their own pint but has a interest in the beer they chugg in the pub on the weekend and wish to find out what they are actually drinking.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment