Thursday 12 December 2013

Tasting : Homemade Ginger Wine

Ginger Wine: Reviewed By Jane

As a lover of Stones Ginger wine it was a little courageous of Simon to make me some from scratch.  However, I am more than pleasantly surprised at just how good it is.  I would even go as far to say that I prefer his.

It is lighter and more refreshing and is not as heady as Stones, with a lovely strong ginger tang that warms the stomach and a very pleasant citrus aftertaste.  It certainly is as strong as Stones, one glass is enough to put a little colour in the cheeks and a smile on your face.  Beautiful golden coppery gingery colour as well.  All in all, a great success and one I hope Simon will repeat.

                                    
Recipe was the one on page 31 from Favourite Country Wines and Cordials  and uses 3 oz of root ginger a few lemons and 1lb of rasins and made 4 x 750ml bottles with a bit left over for sampling.

I made this wine on the 12th of August 2013 and was bottled on the 7th of November so it's still a young wine but very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment