Tuesday 18 February 2014

Fermenting Chillies (part 2)

Well, after leaving these chillies sitting in brine since October 2013, I thought it was about time I did something with it.

After some reading, I decided to bottle them up as a kind of Tabasco. ie a thin sauce that I could used to add a little kick to my cooking or even use as a base for other sauces.

I strained the liquid via a sieve into a jug pressing out as much of the liquid as possible. Boiled the strained liquid for 15mins then hot bottled into sterilized bottles (Starsan)

 

Had a quick Ph test and it's at 3 so that's a good sign. Tasted nice without adding any extras, heat level around 3 out of 5, so not to hot, about the same chilli heat as a real Tabasco sauce and quite fruity.

All in all a successful use of my extra 500g of fresh peppers left over from last year. I plan to get some more bottles and make some sauces from one of these but for now  I'm quite happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment