Wednesday 9 July 2014

Brewday: Jostaberry Wine

Another wine on the go, and again all homegrown fruit. This time the fruit is a mix of Jostaberries, white, red and blackcurrants. The bulk of the 1.75kg of fruit is mainly Jostaberries.

The Jostaberry is a cross of the black currant, the North American coastal black gooseberry and the European gooseberry. So mixed with the standard currants it should make a very nice wine.




I have so far put all the soft fruit into my 5 litre plastic fermenting bucket and crushed the fruit with a potato masher. Then poured boiling water over the top, about 2 litres and crushed and mashed again.

Added 1 tsp of Pectolase (Must get some more as I'm all out now) and then left to cool before I add the yeast. Then I'll leave this to ferment on the fruit for a week before I rack it into a clean demijohn on top some sugar. Not sure the amount of sugar I'll use this time and I might even take a specific gravity reading for once and find out the ABV of this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment