Wednesday 29 February 2012

New home for the Chillies

Picked up one of those 4 tier mini greenhouses from town this week for a home for the Cape Gooseberries and Chillies. All set up in the back garden to get plenty of sunshine. With the weather as mild as it is at the moment I have already put my Chilli, Cape's and Tumbling Tom seedlings in there, and they seem to be all doing well. Just need to keep a very close eye on the weather in case we get another cold snap.


The plan is, as the plants grow, to remove the shelves one by one till the "hothouse" is full to bursting with lovely chilliness. The chillies had been planned to grow inside on windowsills but this way they have their own little home.

5 comments:

  1. I bought one of those once. The zips on the front panel got wet in the first rain it sat out in and wouldn't open properly. Then the wind got underneath it causing the plastic round the ties which held it to the frame to rip. Then the plastic links went brittle and started crumbling away which left the shelves unsupported. Oh and it also kept falling over in anything stronger than a breath of wind, which spilt my seedlings everywhere. I hope you fare better than me, but I wouldn't ever waste my money on one of those again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping the receipt just in case........ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a plastic blowaway last year for my tomatoes,chillis and cucumber.It did fine and you can always get a new cover because they don't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its only a trial thing really - if the large plastic greenhouse thingy we bought and the smaller one work well then we might invest in a proper glasshouse next year. All depends on how things go really, didnt want to fork out a lot of money for something that we were not sure about yet - at least with the plastic ones you dont need to have a proper base and you can move them around really easy and see where works best with regards the sun/wind/shelter etc. They both seem to be doing alright at the moment though I'm sure by the end of the year they will be looking a bit ragged!

    ReplyDelete