Thursday 17 April 2014

Bottled: Evil Dog American Double IPA (KIT)

Checked in on the Evil Dog American Double IPA again today and it's stopped at 1002 SG. So yep a 8% ABV.



Decided last night to bottle it mainly due to the strength of the IPA. Not sure if I could get through 40 pints at 8% in a few months if it was put in the barrel. So this morning I cleaned and primed 43 500ml pint bottles. I always prep more bottles just in case of a few bonus beers in the fermenter.

Used a 1 level tsp of castor sugar to prime each bottle as per the instructions in the kit. The beer was quite clear going into the bottles as it's crash cooled in the Brewshed for the last 2 days. I managed to bottle 43 pints in total so just as well I cleaned a few extra. Lovely creamy firm yeast cake on the bottom. I wish I could harvest this yeast for another brew, but I don't think it would have kept until I needed to make a strong ABV brew again.

After cleaning out all the fermentation bucket and other bits used to make up the beer and bottle it, I made a quick bottle label and cleaned and labeled all the bottles.

The instructions in the kit say to condition the beer for 2 weeks, but as I have had a 60 point SG drop I would normally leave the beer for 1 week per 10 drop in SG, so for this beer 6 weeks would be correct to condition the beer properly. But I'll have one of these as soon as it's clear.

Had a little taste again while doing the bottling,  Flowery, Zesty, lovely hop aroma, quite a light beer for a IPA, but I'm sure a few pints of this on a sunny day will hit the spot so to speak.

I'll be having a go at Hop Teabags when I do another AG brew (BIAB) as this beer has a nice hop flavour and aroma from the Simco and Summit hops that where added during fermentation, so I hope to reproduce this in my own beers.

So far I can definitely recommend this Home Brew kit, but it's all in the drinking, so I'll have to wait a while before giving a final verdict.

Oh price wise, the kits are around £25 so 43 bottles works out at around £0.60 per pint

No comments:

Post a Comment