Monday 21 April 2014

Tasting : A Very young Evil Dog IPA KIT and Coopers Stout KIT (with Treacle)

I know, I know, I'm halfway through my 40 pint pressure barrel of Treacle Stout (Coopers Stout Kit) and I only now get around to blogging it.

It was barreled Sunday, 16 March 2014 so it's been in the barrel doing it's thing for quite a while.  It's a very nice stout, and for a kit not a hint of that "Homebrew" type taste. Smooth, nice creamy coffee head to it. Very nice body and the treacle I added come through just nice without over powering the beer.

This one is on my "to do again" beer kit list.

Now onto a newer beer in the Brewshed. The EVIL DOG IPA (8%).


I know this beer is still far to young to be drinking yet, but I just couldn't resist it. It's been in the Brewshed in it's 43 bottles now since Thursday, 17 April 2014 so only 4 days!!!.. It hasn't been that warm in the Brewshed for it to get into a strong secondary ferment so I wasn't expecting any carbonation.

So right now, it's quite clear and a very light colour. No head at all, but due to it's age I wasn't expecting any. It's a lot sweeter than I expected and not dry at all, even tho' the Final SG ended at 1004. The aroma is huge, floral and I can distinctly smell both hop additions. On drinking, already there is some carbonation, and it's floral again in taste with a big hit of citrus. At 8% ABV I was expecting a fairly harsh alcohol bite,but there isn't, this is going to be a very dangerous beer as it in no way tastes as strong as it is.

I would say this is really is a "Craft" beer in a kit, I would highly recommend this to any home brewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment