Thursday 17 April 2014

Brewday: Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown (Kit)

Shame to have the fermenting bucket empty now that I have bottled my Evil Dog IPA. Another of my Birthday Presents back in March was a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown Beer Kit, Thank you Beth.


This kit is a single can kit, 1.5kg, so you have to add Sugar or spray malt to make up the beer. I have no spray malt around at the moment, so used the suggested 1kg of brewing sugar.
Followed all the usual instructions to make up the beer, add tin contents, hot water, sugar, stir and top up to 23 litres, check temperature 18-20'C add yeast and stir.

Checked the Specific Gravity and it's at 1042 so if it ends at 1010 that should give a nice 4.3% beer.

Kit's are really good and stocking up the Brewshed with beer, I'm trying to fill all my empty bottles at the moment before getting back to some BIAB real homemade beers. This one will be bottled in my 550ml bottles. Then one more kit to go, a good 'ol Woodfordes Wherry Bitter Kit (3kg) to go into my other pressure barrel.

The kits cost around £10 plus the sugar at £2.50 so 40 pints work out at about £0.32 per pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment