Wednesday 9 April 2014

BREWDAY: Rhubarb Wine #2

After being down the Allotment we were able to harvest some more Rhubarb, a little over 3lb in total. Just enough to start another Rhubarb Wine.


This time I am doing the wine the same way as we did last year. Only to try and get maximum juice from the rhubarb I have frozen and defrosted it twice to help break up the fruit. It seems to work well as after the second defrost I had loads of liquid in the bottom of the tub.

Hot water is then poured onto the Fruit up to the 6 litre mark on my bucket, the fruit is then mashed with a potato masher to extract even more juice. 1 tsp of citric acid is added along with 1.3kg of castor sugar. This is then all mixed together and left to cool.

Once cool, I added 1 tsp of yeast nutrient, 1 tsp of Bentonite, & 1 tsp of Wine Yeast. I'll leave this to ferment on the fruit for 2-3 days then transfer to a clean Demijohn and leave it to ferment out.


This is the same method as we have done before, and the wine was lovely, so hopefully this will be as good.


No comments:

Post a Comment