Wednesday 2 April 2014

Brewday : Rhubarb Wine (part 2)

The Rhubarb wine had slowed down fermenting so it's now time to add the sugar.



And for the first time, now that the brewshed is complete, electrics went in yesterday, I did everything in the brewshed, well apart from the washing up of all the gear afterward.

In a demijohn I added the sugar, was supposed to be 800g of castor sugar, but I had a little left over so chucked that in as well, so total sugar was 821g.

Into the demijohn is added 1 tsp of Tannin and 1 tsp of Citric Acid, I have seen quite a few Rhubarb wine recipes that add a cup of strong Tea, and Orange or Lemon juice. So that why I have added it to this batch of Rhubarb wine.

The Rhubarb wine was then strained through my strainer on top of the sugar in the demijohn, once it was half full, I gave it a good old shake to help dissolve the sugar. Then continued to strain the liquor. I got my water quantities right this time and ended up with nearly a full to the brim demijohn.

Looks like I'm brewing mud again. I was hoping that this wine would be a lot pinker than it is at the moment. I think the raisins and banana have added most of that colour. Maybe once it ferments out and starts to clear some of the Rhubarb colour will come through.

Ingredients (So Far)

  • Banana x 2
  • Raisins x 250g (Hot washed)
  • Rhubarb 2kg
  • Campden Tablet x 1
  • Pectolase 1 tsp
  • Yeast 1 tsp
  • Yeast Nutrient 1 tsp
  • Wine Tannin 1 tsp
  • Citric Acid 1 tsp
  • Castor Sugar 821g

Method (So Far)

  • Wash & Cut the Rhubarb into small pieces and then Freeze, defrost and then freeze and defrost again.
  • Chop the Raisins and the Banana in the food processor (Fairly course chop)
  • Add the Defrosted Rhubarb and the Chopped Raisins and Bananas to a plastic fermenting bucket.
  • Pour over 2.5 litres of boiling water and leave to cool.
  • Add 1 tsp of Pectolase and a crushed Campden tablet
  • Cover and leave 24 hours.
  • Add 1 tsp of Yeast Nutrient and 1 tsp of Yeast
  • In a clean Demijohn add the sugar, Citric acid and Tannin.
  • Strain the liquid on top of the sugar and shake to dissolve
  • Fit an airlock and move to a warm place to ferment.

I'm starting to cost up my brewing, just out of interest really and to make a nice addition to my brewshed blackboards. So far if I bottle 5x 750ml bottles of this Rhubarb wine each bottle would come in at around £0.75 so not bad going really.


No comments:

Post a Comment