Thursday 2 January 2014

Bottled : Quince Wine

The First wine of 2014 has now been bottled. Quince Wine. I made this wine 15/11/2013.

I found the recipe online but I can't remember where, fortunately I jotted down the details, so I'll post it here.



Quince Wine:

Ingredients

20 or more Quinces
3lb of sugar
4.5 liters of water
2 tsp of Citric Acid
2 tsp of Pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne yeast (youngs)

Method

  1. Grate the Quinces as close to the core as possible, I pealed and cut them by hand then grated them with our food processor.
  2. Boil the quince pulp in the water for 15 minutes, then strain through muslin into primary fermenter, let the pulp drip drain. (Do not squeeze).
  3. Stir in the sugar until dissolved.
  4. Add the Citric Acid, Pectolase & Yeast Nutrient.
  5. Allow to steep for 24 hours.
  6. Rack into a demijohn and leave to ferment.
  7. Rack again when the wine clears into a clean demijohn.
  8. Once fermentation has stopped bottle the wine.
This is a sweet wine with the SG starting at 1.140 and ending with a SG of 1.050 giving a nice ABV of 11.8% and took just under two months to ferment out and clear.

My notes say to age for 1-2 years but I'm not sure it will last that long but will try and save a bottle until then. It made up 4 full 750ml bottles and just over half a 750ml bottle for us to consume nice and young, most probably tonight. So look out for a post later on the taste test.

No comments:

Post a Comment