Monday 5 May 2014

Brewday: Chinook APA (BIAB+No-Chill)

Well the first brew in the Brewshed. It didn't go quite as planned, as my nice NEW digital temperature gauge I found to be faulty after I finished the brewday.


.
BrewMate Recipe

Chinook APA

American Pale Ale


Recipe Specs
Original Gravity Final Gravity Colour (SRM / EBC)
Bitterness Alcohol by Volume
1.043 1.011 8.5 / 16.7 46.7 IBU 4.2%

Brewhouse Specs
Recipe Type Batch Size Boil Time Efficiency
All Grain 12.0 Litres / 3.2 Gal 90.0 min 60.0%

Fermentables
Name Type SRM Percentage Amount
Golden Promise Malt Grain 3.0 95.24 % 2.60 Kg / 5.73 Lbs
Crystal 80 Grain 80.0 4.76 % 0.13 Kg / 0.29 Lbs

Hops
Name AA% Amount Use Time
Chinook 12.5% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz First Wort 90 mins
Chinook 12.5% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Boil 15 mins
Chinook 12.5% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Dry Hop 3 days
Chinook 12.5% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Dry Hop 3 days

Misc
Name Amount Use Time
Irish Moss 3.00 g / 0.11 oz Boil 15 mins

Yeast
Name Attenuation
Safeale S-04 75 %

Mash Steps
Step Name Time Temperature Type
Saccharification Rest 90.0 min 66.0 °C / 150.8 °F Infusion

Notes

Recipe Generated with BrewMate


Got all my grains and water sorted the night before.

So this morning all I had to do was weigh out the Hops that have been sitting in the freezer for a long long time. The Chinook hops where 2011 harvest so they needed using as soon as possible. They still smell good though.

Got the water on to boil, about 16 litres at a guess. I really need to sort out a measurement for the strike water next time. So that was a mistake on this run that next time I'll fix.











Got the hops measured out and ready, FWH and Boil, and the Cube Hops all ready to be added when needed

Then on with the brewday as normal. Rained in the grains at a Strike temperature of 72'C, this brought the temperature down to 68'C, then mashed for 90 minutes, with a stir at the 45 minute mark.

The temperature at the 45 minute mark was at 67'C, then this is where I think the temperature gauge then had a hissy fit and died, because at the end of the Mash the temperature had risen to 70'C???

I didn't really think much of it at the time so I just carried on with the brewday using a now faulty temperature gauge.

Did a mash out at 77'C (maybe) and let the grains steep at this temperature for 10 minutes. Lifted the grains out and ran some hot water through them about 1.7 litres to try and get as much sweet wort as possible.

Then hung the BIAB bag over the boiler to let the wort run out.

Decided at this point to leave it there while the Wort went through the boil. Not sure if this is a good thing to do or not.

Checked the SG of the Wort and it came in at 1046 at 40'C ( maybe, faulty temp gauge!! ) so 1053 corrected.

Chucked in the FWH addition 10g of old Chinook and set the boiler to max, it took around 20 minutes or so to get to a good boil.

Twenty minutes before the end of the boil, I squeezed as much Wort out of the BIAB bag as possible, and put the spent grains to one side.


Added the 15 minute Hop addition along with the Irish Moss.

Once the boil was complete, a good whirlpool and a rest for the Wort to settle out the hot break material. I left it 15 minutes in total and the Wort temperature may have been around 85'C, but I can't be sure now.

Tested the SG of the Bitter Wort and it came in at 1070 at 25'C or 1072 temperature corrected.

Then transferred the Wort to the No-Chill cube with 10g of Chinook hops ready inside the Cube. Got a grand total of 7 litres of wort out of the boiler, which has to be my worst and lowest amount yet.





The Wort is now sitting in the Cube ready for fermentation at a later date.

I'll be adding 4 liters of water to the wort when I ferment it to give me a SG of 1043 and also Dry Hop with more Chinook, which will hopefully end up with a Hoppy 4% ABV beer and around the 20 bottles mark.


I still need to decide what weight of  hops to Dry Hop with and for how long. I will make my mind up on that when I start to ferment this brew. It will probably be around the 10g mark, doing a Hop Teabag. But I might add more. I'll decide on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment