Thursday 1 May 2014

Climbing Bean canes all ready for this season

30042014176

We do love our climbing beans, and they store well too. Jane has lots of seed this year, I think 4 or 5 different types.

So I spent the afternoon putting up the canes ready for when Jane direct sows later this week.

Two lines of canes with string strung between each. 10 inches apart for each plant, a little closer than last year, but we had lots of wasted space between the beans that I have moved them all a touch closer.

From memory, I think Jane has now got vertical platforms for around 60 climbing bean plants, so that should keep us going for a while.

A few other things have also gone in the ground this week.

My crystal cucumbers, gardeners delight tomato, tigerella tomatoes, outdoor wonder melons, are all in the polytunnel and doing well, along with the Tomatoberry plants and the two remaining Aubergines. These have all been planted directly into the ground this year and not in growbags.

A few courgette plants have gone in as well, but outside, along with my Pumpkins for making a pumpkin beer later in the year. These are covered with fleece at the moment, as the weather man reckons a frost this weekend.

My HOPS are now over 7 feet in height and looking great.

No comments:

Post a Comment